Vision of the Division
An effective integration of the student with his academic environment to achieve the highest success rates and optimal preparation for the dentist.
Message of the Division
Contributing in following up the student's academic scientific career as an implementation of the educational plan as well the student’s performance and his scientific accomplishments, the academic guidance also contributes in helping the student to move gradually and systematically from the educational environment of his pre academic years to his current academic environment where the student relies on himself to take decisions, determine his specialization, and develop his scientific and behavioral level.
Organizational structure of the Division
A brief about the division
The Division was established by the university administrative order (sanction) No. 7/35/10025 dating 4/18/2018 whose attached to the Ministerial Order No. C.T./6582 dating 9/11/2016, which included the transfer of educational guidance units in the colleges of the University of Basrah to divisions, and then an administrative measures were taken to form the division by the administrative order 7/39/1818 dating 4/8/2019.
Director Sajideh Abdel Wahab Maatouk // Director of the Division
Assistant. Director Raja Abdel Salim Ne'ma
Assistant. Director Muntaha Faraj Ahmed
The objective of the division’s administrative staff includes forming central guidance committees, forming administrative orders for affiliated members from supervisors and educational advisors from academic teachers, organizing meeting sessions, supervising the progress of the guidance process, continuing on holding periodic guidance meetings with students, continuing to deliver reports, and thus submitting annual reports to the Presidency of the University of Basrah, in addition to archiving guidance activities with the participation of students and documenting them.
The objective of the Guidance Program
The guidance program aims to improve the educational process by working to create an appropriate atmosphere for learning and teaching by overcoming the difficulties that hold back the learning process and helping students to achieve academic achievement.
Participants in the implementation of the guidance program in the College of Dentistry
Dean of the College
Dean's Assistant in Scientific Affairs
Dean's Assistant in Administrative Affairs
The Educational and Psychological Guidance Division (Division Director)
Heads of the Scientific Departments to coordinate with them to nominate the affiliated and guidance members.
The affiliated members of the college's Guidance Committee ( the guidance officials of the academic stages)
The guiding members of the academic stages ( from the nominated academic teachers of the scientific departments)
The guidance services for the first stage students
First \\ Receiving and welcoming students and issuing a new students' guide which is distributed upon the registration of first stage students, explaining the following :
*A brief introductory of the college and its objectives, and an explanation of the college's vision and message
*An explanation of the approved instructions and regulations, such as the unified uniform instructions, absence systems, and the conditions for admission and graduation
Second \\ conducting an extensive meeting with the new college students attended by the heads of the scientific departments, the Student Affairs Division Director and the Educational Guidance Division Director, in which the following will be done:
*Provide a full overview of the college, its buildings, and the nature of the studies in the college
* an introduction on the materials that are taught in the college
* Introducing the required ethics that should be abided on campus
* Explaining and defining of the ethics of the medical profession
Third \\ Other matters that the guidance director of the academic stage may direct to the guidance officials assigned to work with him on the following :
* Clarifying and guiding students regarding the students' relationship with each other and their relationship with the academic teachers and administrative employees.
* Paying attention to the students living in-dorms and identifying their needs and problems.
* Introducing students to the guidance services provided by the college for its students through the Educational Guidance Division, and introducing them to the method of reporting back to them in case the student needs it.
* Preparing posters and guiding ads that contribute in assisting students in addressing their academic problems, listening to students and identify their opinions and suggestions.
* Surveying students with scientific, artistic, athletic and literary talents, encouraging them and helping them develop their talents.
* Involving students in field visits to schools, hospitals, and others.
* Instructing the guidance officials who are assigned to address during their lectures or the designated guidance hours, to the topics related to educating students about the serious problems in society, such as (drugs, religious and belief extremism, and the misuse of social platforms ), which were confirmed by the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research and the full delivery in the official papers of the Presidency of the University of Basrah.
* Urging the assigned academic teachers during the lecture or its beginning to clarify some matters related to directing students to university accustomed things and good behavior and behavior on campus.
The guidance services offered to the second, third and fourth stage students for the academic year
1-Conducting meetings with students for each stage while in the presence of the counselors and the guidance officer of the stage.
2-Providing clarifications about the instructions, regulations, and study requirements, such as college hours, timings, absence system, unified uniform instructions, and student discipline law.
3-Explaining the academic problems related to curriculums, lectures, examinations, absences and results for the past academic year.
4-Getting familiarized and acquainted with the students who live in the dorm rooms and helping them to adapt to the new environment.
The guidance services offered to the fifth stage students for the academic year
1-Conducting an organized meeting between the students and the academic teachers assigned to the guidance hours and according to the groups.
2-Preparing the students of the final stages for graduation and starting their working life by explaining the opportunities available to them and directing them to professional opportunities according to their specialization.
3-Introducing the possibilities of admission to the postgraduate studies and what are the requirements of these studies and the opportunities and possibilities they may present.
4-Focusing in the guidance hour assigned to each group on important topics such as preparing for examinations and how to perform them, as well as how to organize graduation ceremonies for the final stages in line with the ethics that are being implemented at the university, while maintaining the academic atmosphere in it.
5-Presenting lectures or seminars on practical application and the skills required for graduates for the colleges that subject to practical application.
6-Emphasis on the researches and their quality so that they are directed to the community service.
The other activities that the Guidance Division or Committee can carry out during the academic year
1-The counselors organize a counseling meeting at the beginning of the first semester and a second counseling meeting at the beginning of the second semester, in which the counseling card is presented, which is an open survey for students, without mentioning names, to identify their problems, and as it was applied for the academic year, it is handed over to the counseling official of the study stage and then the results are analyzed.
2-The academic teaching guidance officials follow up on students with low educational earnings and students who are absent from college, identify their problems and help them in solving them, under the supervision of the stage official.
3-Monitor abnormal conduct and behaviors to develop and implement an appropriate solutions for them.
4-Preparing educational lectures and seminars on:
*The uniform and its educational and moral extensions.
*University traditions and customs.
*Optimum usage of laboratorial equipment and devices, and maintaining the furniture and energy consumption.
*Addressing negative situations in society and addressing them by the following.
* Increasing the awareness of the dangers of computer and Internet addiction and the health and psychological effects of its misuse.
* Increasing the awareness of the dangers of drugs, smoking and alcohol (according to the conclusive notification of the official papers issued by the presidency of the University.)
*Addressing the resentment and rejection of the principle of extremism (according to the conclusive notification of the university presidency official papers.)
*Terrorism and fanaticism are not by any means tolerated.
*Increasing the awareness of about mental and physical diseases spreading in the society.
*Mental illnesses, chronic diseases and malignant diseases.
*Communicable diseases such as raising awareness about the Corona pandemic and the risk of spreading AIDS and hepatitis.
*Preparing development lectures that include:
*Human relations and methods of socializing.
*Successful personality traits.
*Help in making decisions.